There I was, playing D&D and stuffing my face with chips and soda pop. I stopped mid-bite and realized that my gaming night food consumption might be the reason my fortitude defense fails me one day down the road. I wondered if every gaming group consumed as many calories (or more) than my group. Sure there are the clichés about beer and pretzel games, or the oft heard “Where is the Mountain Dew?” references, but is this what other gamers eat? Beer, pretzels and Mountain Dew?
So I decided to use my group as a case study and I tallied up the food and beverage choices we made one week to get an idea about what we were eating, count up the calories just to see, and then average that out between the six of us.
I have to confess, this wasn’t a mission to get my group to eat healthier. By recording the calories we consumed I’m not trying to point the spotlight on our possibly unhealthy level of sodium intake or why none of the group has washboard abs. I just thought it would be an interesting look into our Sunday night routine.
One thing I will caution the reader about is the strong likelihood that we may have changed our dietary habits because the group was aware that I was monitoring their intake. Indeed the very act of observing behaviour can inevitably change our behaviour in some way. Of course I also picked a night we ordered pizza which we don’t normally do. Perhaps over time we will change our consumption, but I don’t expect that we’ll be eating veggies or other healthy snacks anytime soon.
- 10 cans of CocaCola Classic (355mL)
- 5 cans of Coke Zero (355mL)
- 2 bottles of Keith’s India Pale Ale (341mL)
- 2 bottles of water (500mL)
- 1 bag Doritos Sweet Chili Heat (265g)
- 1 bag Doritos BBQ (265g)
- 2 Jamaican beef patties
- 2 large pizzas (1 – Pepperoni, Bacon, Sausage; 1 – Pepperoni, Green, Pepper Ham)
This is the total count for everyone, not individual consumption.
- 1 can CocaCola Classic – 160 calories
- 1 bottle Keith’s Inda Pale Ale – 145 calories
- Coke Zero – 0 calories
- Water – 0 calories
- Doritos – Sweet Chili Heat 250 calories/50g
- Doritos – BBQ 260 calories/50g
- Jamaican beef patty – 215 calories
- Pizza – 308 calories/100g; each slice was 81g
- 1600 calories of CocaCola Classic
- 290 calories of Keith’s India Pale Ale
- 1325 calories of Doritos Sweet Chili Heat
- 1378 calories of Doritos BBQ
- 430 calories of Jamaican beef patties
- 5987 calories of pizza
11010 calories grand total for all six guys at the table.
1835 calories per gamer.
This number isn’t as bad as I originally thought it would be. Sure that’s a lot of calories, and sure 3 of 6 were drinking 0 calorie beverages, but with a mean daily requirement of 2,500 calories a day, we averaged 73.4% of the recommended daily intake. I would have thought that we were consuming above the recommended daily intake level.
So how typical was our experience? Do you think your gaming group consumes more or less calories on an average night? What do you eat during your game? Anything other than beer, pop, pizza, chips and pretzels? We want to know if we’re the same as gamers everywhere or if we’re six abnormal guys with hollow legs.