September was a big month for D&D with the release of the DMG2. Keeping that in mind, we ran a lot of articles geared towards the DM last month. But that didn’t mean that we forgot about the players entirely. As usual we try to provide a good balance between DM and player resources. We also provided two new skill challenges, a couple of book reviews, some Eberron-specific materials and of course our opinion on a number of D&D related topics. September was another great month at Dungeon’s Master and as we so often do we want to thank you, the readers, for visiting us every day. If you’re new to Dungeon’s Master then you might have missed some of the great articles we ran throughout September. Here are the highlights.
- More Tips for Speeding Up Your Game – We share a few of the tips that have helped speed up our game.
- An Accidental Solution to the Slow Combat Problem – Cooperation and familiarity are apparently the keys to speeding up combat.
- Preparing Red Herring in 6 Easy Steps – Your game doesn’t take place in a vacuum, so let the PCs discover some of the things going on in the world around them even if it has nothing to do with the campaign.
- Styles Of Play – A look at the appeal between long-term, short-term and one-shot campaigns.
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility – We looked at the things DMs do when preparing for a game.
- Monsters on the Menu – Why not explore exotic foods in your next camapaign. Haven’t you ever wondered what a dragon, beholder or purple worm tastes like?
- Use Your Daily Powers Every Day – You’ve got them, use them. Every day, without exception.
- What Do You Look Like? – Go beyond the numbers, really tell us about your character’s appearance.
- Keith Baker Answers 13 Questions – The creator of Eberron shares his thoughts and insights about Eberron with us.
- Secrets of Eberron Revealed (Part 2) – Discover House Orien’s Project Ascent and The Nymph’s Laugh.
- Secrets Of Eberron Revealed (Part 3) – Discover Marshall Abuse and The Talenta Nature Preserve
- Review: Word of Traitors – We review the best Eberron novel released to date.
Skills and Skill Challenges
- Skill Challenge: Honour the Dead – The PCs must weigh their options and determine the best way to honour the passing. of a friend.
- Skill Challenge: Babysitting the Brats – The PCs are about to face the most dangerous threat of their adventuring careers… kids.
- First Look PHB3: Skill Powers – We review and comment on the new utility skill powers forthcoming in PHB3.
- Dungeon Master’s Guide 2: Skill Challenges – The DMG2 hit shelves and we took a look at the vastly improved skill challenge chapter.
- Review: Corsair – Our look at this excellent Forgotten Realms novel.
- What Does World of Warcraft Have To Do With Your D&D Campaign? – Take a page from WoW’s book and don’t be afraid of change.
- I Wish for a Wish Spell in 4e D&D – We look at reasons for and against the exclusion of the wish spell from 4e D&D.
- Respect Your Faithful Servant Or Else… – A tongue-in-cheek look at how all the little things get done in an adventurer’s life.
A Look Ahead
October is traditionally undead month at Wizards of the Coast and we thought we’d follow their lead in this regard. So throughout October we’ll provide a lot of undead related articles for DMs and players. We’ll look at how to run intelligent undead villains like the lich and the vampire, we’ll re-revisit the 4e Necromancer and we’ll take a look at the ever-expanding vampire phenomenon and how it affects D&D. In just a few days we’ll reach our 200th post and to celebrate the milestone we’ll share Dungeon’s Master greatest hits. Be sure to visit us every day in October.