Today Dungeon’s Master and 20ft Radius are proud to present a special episode of our podcast, Recounting Encounters. In this episode we talk to Erik Scott de Bie, author of this season’s adventure Storm Over Neverwinter.
Erik is a professional writer and game designer. Storm Over Neverwinter is Erik’s third contribution to the D&D Encounters program having written the adventures Halaster’s Lost Apprentice (season 1) and The Lost Crown of Neverwinter (season 6). He was also one of the main contributing authors for the Neverwinter Campaign Guide.
Erik’s most popular and recognized character is Shadowbane. So far Shadowbane has appeared in three novels Downshadow, Shadowbane, and Shadowbane: Eye of Justice. You can also download Chosen of the Sword: A Shadowbane Novella from Erik’s website for free.
Marc, Craig and I have a candid discussion with Erik as he shares plenty of insight and behind the scenes information about writing, game design, and the D&D Encounters program. We got Erik to provide some never before heard stories about designing the new Neverwinter, putting together this season of Encounters, and some of the challenges he faced along the way. Whether you’re the DM or a player this season, you’ll find this interview interesting and valuable.
- 2:03 – Encounters this season and the launch of the Neverwinter video game
- 6:03 – Compression of the story for what WotC wanted.
- 7:18 – Arcs in this season for personal games at home
- 9:38 – “Implicating” Erik
- 13:38 – DnDNext and D&D Encounters
- 16:58 – Easter eggs throughout
- 17:55 – New Shadowbane novel?
- 21:08 – erikscottdebie.com
- 24:29 – The Neverwinter Campaign Setting
- 28:29 – Transformations of the Beached Leviathan
- 30:15 – Neverwinter game
- 37:08 – Treading lightly and talking about this season’s final encounter
- 44:09 – Doing what is best for your table
- 49:01 – D&D Encounters at higher levels
- 1:03:00 – The Final Story
Recounting Encounters is a weekly podcast I record with fellow Toronto DM, Craig Sutherland, and Marc Talbot (Alton) from 20ft Radius in which we recount that week’s experiences with D&D Encounters. We share the highlights from our respective FLGS and we talk about what worked, what didn’t and what we might have done differently. Find all episodes of Recounting Encounters on iTunes.
Visit the Dungeon’s Master D&D Encounters Archive for all of our ongoing weekly coverage as well as other great D&D Encounters articles and resources.