Attention all gamers in the Greater Toronto Area! Sunday, March 9, 2014, will be the first ever Gaming Night at Steamwhistle Brewery in downtown Toronto. Come out, play some games, enjoy some poutine from Poutini’s, then stick around for a tour and an evening of karaoke.
When: Sunday, March 9, 2:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m.
Where: Steamwhistle Brewery, 255 Bremner Blvd, Toronto
Who: All ages welcome!
What: Board games, Magic: the Gathering, poutine and karaoke.
This is an all ages event, presented in collaboration with: The Hairy Tarantula, The Bar With No Name, Poutini’s House of Poutine, Cardboard Classics, Youth Assisting Youth and Steamwhistle Brewery.
There will be a huge selection of board games on site and plenty of experienced gamers ready to teach you how to play all of them.
Poutini’s House of Poutine will be on site selling poutine all day. Check out their regular, vegan or pulled pork poutine. The first 25 people to arrive on March 9 will receive a free poutine.
Participants 19 and over can enjoy ice cold Steamwhistle beer. Here are the drink prices:
- $4 Steamwhistle bottles
- $6 Keith’s Cider tall boys
- $6 Canadian Club and Cola tall boys
- $6 Canadian Club and Gingerale tall boys
- $6 Motts Spicy Caesar tall boys
- $8 Rockstar and Vodka tall boys
- Tickets are $20 per person.
- Buy your tickets in person at either Hairy Tarantula location (354 Yonge Street or 6979 Yonge Street).
- Order tickets online from Cardboard Classics. Remember to bring your email confirmation with you on March 9.
- Contact Kelly Ackerman by email to arrange an email money transfer: kellyeventsmanagement at gmail dot com.
Special events schedule
There will be special events held throughout the day. Here’s the schedule of what’s on tap so far.
For the board gamers
- 6:00 p.m. – Carcassonne Tournament: 1st place wins a copy of the new Carcassonne Expansion.
- 10:00 p.m. – The Resistance Showdown: Think you’ve got espionage? Think again. Come battle for the title of the Steamwhistle spy. The title comes with a trophy.
- 11:00 p.m. – Coup conspiracy! Be the last one standing in Coup. The winner gets a free victory poutine.
- Other board game tournament will be run throughout the day.
For the Magic players
- All day – Learn to play Magic: Magic judges will be available throughout the day to help new players learn how to sling spells like the best of them.
- 2:30 p.m. – Free Draft. The first 24 players who sign up before 2:30 p.m. at the venue get a free draft. 3 rounds, with prizes. Additional drafts will start with each 8 players who sign up and will cost $10 to enter. There may be weird draft formats available and/or chaos draft depending on pack availability.
- 6:00 p.m. – Commander tournament for a judge foil and other prizes. Pods of 4, winner of each pod joins the playoff game for 1st prize.
- 7:00 p.m. – Booze Cube Draft for judge foils and poutine.
For the singers
- 9:00 p.m. – Karaoke party hosted by a special guest (TBA). Think you’ve got the pipes? 1st place wins 3 drink tickets. Honourable mentions will receive a drink ticket at our hosts discretion. Must be legal drinking age to get the prizes.
For the Cosplayers
- 8:00 p.m. – Costume contest: All dressed up for Comic Con? Come strut your stuff at the Brewery and win. Squishable prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
For more information visit the Magic, Board Games & Beers Facebook page.
We’re looking forward to seeing everyone in just two short weeks at the Steamwhistle Brewery.