The PCs are at the scene of a crime (robbery, accident involving injury, bar brawl, etc). When the Watch arrives the PCs need to think quick of they may be implicated in the crime.
Presented below are three possible reasons for the PCs to be engaged in this skill challenge.
- You’ve just arrived in a new town. You immediately go to the tavern for a refreshing beverage. Before you finish your first pint some of the patrons start a bar brawl. It’s over before you can get involved. The Watch arrives and asks you what’s going on.
- While enjoying a pint in the local tavern, you do or say something that inadvertently offends someone. A bar brawl breaks out and before you can leave or join in the fight the Watch arrives and asks you what’s going on.
- You deliberately start a bar brawl. You are uninjured in the melee. Before you can enjoy your next pint the Watch arrives and asks you what’s going on.
For all the above scenarios, should you flee or choose not to cooperate you may be seen as guilty and thrown in prison.
4 PC level +2 (requires 10 successes before 3 failures).
Bluff, Diplomacy, History, Intimidate, Perception
- Each PC must achieve at least 2 successes. No PC can gain multiple successes through use of the same skill.
- Each skill can only be used to accomplish 1 success towards the overall skill challenge unless noted otherwise.
- Skill checks denoted as assist do not count as a success or failure towards the overall skill challenge.
Bluff (hard DC, maximum of 2 successes)
You try to shift the blame or create some kind of false account of what you saw. The members of the Watch are well trained and can smell lies so this will be tough.
Diplomacy (moderate DC, maximum of 2 successes)
You provide an accurate and honest recount based on your perspective of events.
Diplomacy (moderate DC)
Your account jogs the memory of another bystander who reluctantly agrees with you.
History (hard DC, maximum 2 successes)
Your familiarity with local laws and customs give you insight into what kind of details the Watch are looking for. +2 to your next Diplomacy check.
Insight (easy DC, assist)
You quickly get a sense that your approach is having a favourable or unfavourable effect on the Watch. +2 to your next Bluff, Diplomacy or Intimidate check.
Intimidate (moderate DC)
You apply subtle pressure to the other witnesses and convince them to step forward and tell the Watch what happened.
Intimidate (hard DC)
You resent the implication by the Watch that you may be involved and tell them as much. Although they respect your conviction, it’s a fine line.
Perception (moderate DC, maximum 3 successes)
You spot a clue or piece of evidence that backs up your story. +2 to your next Bluff, Diplomacy or Intimidate check.
Thievery (hard DC, assist)
You attempt to plant or hide evidence to back up a lie or simply to cause more confusion. +2 to your next Bluff check.
If the PCs succeed they convince the Watch that they were not involved. They are free to go, but may be asked to assist if additional details are uncovered or if new clues are found.
The PCs are unable to convince the Watch that they are completely innocent. They are arrested while the investigation continues. They will be sent before a magistrate in the morning.